King Edward Medical College

King Edward Medical College was established in 1860 as the Lahore Medical College. It is the fourth oldest medical school in South Asia, after Medical College Kolkata (January 28, 1835), Madras Medical College, Chennai (February 2, 1835) and Grant Medical College, Bombay (1845).

The first academic building was completed in 1883. On December 21, 1911, Lahore Medical College was renamed King Edward Medical College in Honor of the late King and Emperor and was elevated to the status of an independent, degree-granting university on May 12, 2005, when it became King Edward Medical University.

After Pakistan's independence, the university became the only medical college in the country and in 2005 became a charter to award degrees in its own right. It has since gone through expansion, and overseas seven tertiary referral hospitals including the Lady Willingdon Hospital.

KEMU (King Edward Medical University) has been the top choice of toppers because of its highest merit in Punjab. Students have to get more than 90% in order to get admission that makes KEMU the most competitive public medical college in Punjab.